2.21.2018

Weekly Wisdom and Happy New Year to Me Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom. 

Intention words for 2018

Happy New Years!  

No, I am not losing my mind. 

February 17th, marked my New Years. 

Before this day arrives, I seriously contemplate my intentions of what my focus is for the next trip around the sun. I take this very seriously because I want to live an intentional life based on what I want my life to be. Mornings in the shower, drives to work and home, lazy Sundays, during lunch at work were all consumed with thoughts of what my intentions would be for this fresh year. 

This year, I am going to do things scared. I always play it safe so I don't lose my shit and feel out of control. Guess what?  My life has already been in a place of out of control x3000. Why would I play it safe now?  Why would I not take the leap, knowing I could lose it all?  Because it's scary and sometimes scary is exactly the right way to live your life to have the life you want. 

While I am doing things scared...I will be stunning. I will dress the part, walk the part, eat the part, drink the part, breathe the part. I will be confident, composed, selfless and stunning in this new year. 
Here we go!  I am ready!

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian Beverly Price

Today’s conversation is with Beverly Price, an entrepreneur with a passion for owning her own practice, serving the eating disorders community and yoga.

While attending FNCE last fall, I decided to participate in the Entrepreneur Spotlight during the Nutrition Entrepreneurs Dietetic Practice Group Networking Event. There were a plethora of fantastic RD’s sharing their product and services, with a few catching my eye and Beverly was one of them.  She was showcasing her private practice specializing in eating disorders but more specifically her Mindfulness-Based Yoga Therapy Training in Eating Disorders. I did not get a ton of time to talk with her there, so I knew I had to have a podcast with her.


Upcoming Training:  Mindfulness-Based Yoga Therapy Training Retreat in Eating Disorders for Professionals, October 27-November 3, 2018 - Tucson, Arizona, for more information and to connect with Beverly, go to her website.

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

New years week started off pretty damn great. I was home early on a Thursday, taking care of a few things at home and I heard my garage door open. It was a little weird, but a few of my peeps do have the code in case I need them to watch Lil g. There was Amanda, shocked I was home because she wanted to surprise me with this bouquet of pink loveliness. It was such a nice surprise!

Photo of pink roses, lilies and white hydrangeas

Friday, I had a quick day of doing some work at a local elementary school, podcasting and then a planned dinner with my Mom and Christine. I was so excited they were going to come down and spend the afternoon with me, so I made sure to have a signature AE cocktail ready and waiting for them when they arrived. 

Photo of Chambord and cocktails

AE's Pink and Bubbly
Makes 2

1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup of ice
3 oz of Chambord
2 oz vodka
1 small can of pineapple juice
1 can Klarburnn Raspberry sparkling water

1. Divide frozen raspberries and ice into 2 glasses
2. Mix Chambord, vodka and pineapple juice
3. Pour mixture over raspberries
4. Divide and pour Klarburnn Raspberry sparkling water over mixture and ice

Chalkboard Art in Restaurant

We then headed to Table 128 Bistro and Bar for dinner. This has turned into one of my local favorites. From the website: "Table 128 is a neighborhood restaurant that is a destination for locals and travelers alike, featuring eclectic, modern American cuisine with local, seasonally inspired ingredients."  This place is quaint and uses local foods to create their ever-changing menu. 

Photo of ladies having dinner and cocktails

We went around 4 pm, which was the perfect time. It was quiet so we could have a great conversation.

Craft Cocktail, Valentino

It was also Happy Hour!  They have a fun menu of appetizers and craft cocktails on special from 4-6 pm, Monday-Friday. We each tried a couple different cocktails but this one was our favorite, the Valentino. There are also nice beer and wine offerings. 

Clams, mussels and french fries

On the Happy Hour menu, we chose the Mussels and Clams in a chorizo, tomatillo, mescal sauce served with crostini and Rosemary Parmesan fries served with truffle aioli. I haven't had mussels and clams in a long time. My Mom said my sister and I loved them when we were little living in Hawaii. They would bring bags of fresh clams home and we would yummy them up. It was great to have them again because I am a fan. I also love Rosemary and will need to start using this herb more at home. Such a great flavor.  

Photo of pink champagne cake on polka dots

After we sauntered home, Christine surprised me with one of my favorites, the Pink Champagne cake from Let Them Eat Cake in West Des Moines. 6 perfectly pink individual cakes all for me to wish upon. She even brought cute white candles dipped in glitter. I brewed some coffee, Mom and Christine so sweetly sang "Happy Birthday" and I blew out my candles for another beautiful year ahead. 

Joy jar and kitty cat

Saturday rolled around, I got up and made it to the gym before the next day of festivities. After the gym, I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat with Lil g to read all the wonderful joys in my joy jar from 2017. I know I say this every year, but Amanda, this is one of the best gifts I have ever gotten. I cannot thank her enough for giving me the ability to find joy in everyday. It has changed my outlook on each day and at the end of the year, it gives me a sense of hope for all the good things happening in my life everyday. 

Photo of girlfriends at the bowling alley

Early afternoon, these two heartbeats strolled into town from the west and we knew we had to have a little food before we headed out for an evening of fun. As we were deciding were to dine, we needed something fast, delicious and classy. 

Photo of Hardees restaurant

Hardees it was. 

Hardees food

We all could not recall the last time we went to Hardees but it was delicious!  Carlena got herself a big burger and Brenda and I enjoyed a slider box with french fries and a chocolate chip cookie, while we shared a side of onion rings. I couldn't think of a better birthday dinner and the laughs while we were there made it even better. 

Craft Cocktail, Passion Royale

After our deluxe dinner, we headed over to my heartbeats Kevin and Ryan's house for cocktail club. I chose the Passion Royale because I wanted something pink, yummy and bubbly. 
It met all 3 requirements. 

Passion Royale Craft Cocktail

My other heartbeat Jason even brought pink napkins for our cocktails. I was pretty much in heaven. Kevin even made some of his amazing cookies that I may have eaten more than 3 of?  I cannot confirm or deny this. 

Photo of friends bowling

This year, I thought it would be good to mix it up and do some activities for the New Year. So I decided on a few hours of bowling. At Air Lanes Bowling Center, you can get 2 hours of unlimited bowling and can reserve lanes for an evening of fun. All my heartbeats were there and it was a blast!  After we bowled we continue the party with a few more cocktails and a lot more conversation. It was a great way to ring in the New Year of 42!


Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

What would New Years be without a playlist?  February 17th is worthy of a playlist. I hope you think of your intentions for your next trip around the sun and during your time moving to these great tunes! Find the playlist on Apple Music and Spotify

Music playlist for physical activity

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

A few years ago, my Mom got these amazing shoes for me. I use them all the time and I had to tell you about them. Sloggers are the best thing ever for wet weather. They are easy to slide into, are warm and protect your feet from rain, mud, snow, slush, all of it. I use these each morning when I head to the gym and don't want to get my workout shoes wet.  I love my rain boots too but these are so easy to wear. They come in a ton of fun prints and of course mine has pink flowers on them. 
Love, love, love! 

Photo of rain shoes

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment