1.10.2018

Weekly Wisdom and Saying Goodbye to 2017 Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

Inspirational quote

There is always a place or places you call home.  The place you always go back to and never forget the sounds, the smells, the nooks and crannies and the feelings you get when you arrive.  It may cosmetically and physically change over the years; the size, the color, the location. When all those things change, it remains home because of the people who reside there. 

Those people who sit and share food and conversation with at the kitchen table, who tell you stories at bedtime, who you have cocktails on the patio with, who covers you over when you are sick on the couch and who hugs you when you cry. 

Don't ever take for granted the place you call home. It is where your story began and continues. 


 Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation.

Podcast about Registered Dietitians, nutrition, health and wellness.

My conversation today is with Gisela Bouvier, a registered dietitian with the most sincere passion in helping others practice body kindness and mindful eating. 

I feel Instagram is the social media matchmaker for like-minded people by connecting us with each other. Enter Gisela Bouvier. Connecting with Gisela through Instagram lead to a quick but intimate meeting at FNCE and this amazing conversation. This was a gift to me. As she told me before, she is an open book and shares her own personal journey through an eating disorder, being in jobs that didn’t bring her joy and leading her to the passionate and purposeful life she leads today. Each time I have listened to our conversation, I get happy tears in my eyes. 


Connect with Gisela:  B Nutrition and Wellness and follow her on Instagram and Facebook 

Nosh Three. Last Weeks of 2017 in Review. 

What to do when you have a toothache

The last few weeks of 2017 were interesting to say the least. Which now I can look back upon and be soooo grateful for so much. Over the past year, I have kind of had an aching on my right side of my mouth, which I kind of thought was TMJ. It would be a dull pain in the morning at times and then sometimes not at all. One evening, the pain was unbearable. It was seriously nothing I ever experienced in my entire life. It did not go away. I was popping ibuprofen like it was my job all day and sleeping with frozen corn on my face sitting up at night. I made an appointment to see my dentist and discovered I had a cracked tooth and needed a root canal. I had no idea that is what would cause such pain and I had never had a root canal either. I will be perfectly fine if I never experience either one again. 3 appointments, a root canal and a crown later, my pain is gone and I am a whole new woman. Here is my PSA for you, never mess around with teeth pain. It is only going to get worse and it is worth every penny to take care of your pearly whites. 

Photo of a sick kitty

On the morning of December 23rd, I was heading to work and realize Lil g was feeling a little under the weather. She seemed ok when I left. I was going to head to my moms right after work for the holiday and when I called home, Mom really recommended me to stop at home just to check in. Reluctantly, I did and Lil g was VERY under the weather. I couldn't believe I had to delay my holiday plans for a sick kitty but I stayed home, got her feeling better and headed home on Christmas Eve. 

Photo of cracked crab legs, coffee with Irish Cream

Mom and I had a simple and relaxes holiday planned:  eat a little food, attend Mass, drink a few cocktails, watch a few movies and just be together. We have always talked about making homemade macaroni and cheese for a holiday and this was the year. The last few year, we had crab legs for Christmas Eve and I thought it would be fun to continue the tradition and I brought some home to be part of the fun (and some Bailey's and coffee). 

Photo of ingredients of butter and cheese for recipe on a cutting board

Mom had all the cheese and butter for days to make our creamy, gooey goodness. We decided on Gruyere, Havarti and White Cheddar. 

Photo of cheese melting in cream

We also used half and half for our roux with unsalted butter, white pepper and cayenne pepper. 

Photo of macaroni and cheese getting ready to bake

Once we melted and mixed everything together, we topped it with Italian seasoned bread crumbs and it was ready to bake and eat. However, we snacked during the whole process and got so full we couldn't even fathom eating it that night, so we saved it for Christmas Day. 

Photo of homemade macaroni and cheese with fresh crab on a white plate

And it was worth the wait. The breadcrumbs are a necessity, to add a little crunch and the sweet crab paired well with the cheese choices. We already decided we are going to try a different cheese in the threesome next year, so around this time next year, the recipe may change a little. This recipe is courtesy of Chef Stacey Wertzberger and we altered it a little bit by substituting the gnocchi with macaroni, half and half for whole milk and added 4 ounces of white cheddar cheese and 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper. 

Three Cheese Crab Macaroni and Cheese
Makes one 9x13 pan ~serves 12

Crab Gnocchi Recipe photo


Photo of red dish towel, spatula and homemade jam

I was also very grateful for the gifts I received over the month of December. My favorite people from Midwest Dairy sent this adorable cow towel and spatula from Williams Sonoma (which I have already used both at least each week since I received it) and one of my customers made me the most delicious jam. 

Photo of large box of chocolates in bed

Photo of pearl necklace in a box with a gold bow

When I went to bed on Christmas Eve, there was a big beautiful red box of chocolate laying on my pillow with a box tied in a pretty gold bow from my mom. Chocolate and pearls might be the sweetest bedtime gift I have ever gotten. When I woke up on Christmas Day I may have sat in bed wearing my pearls and eating chocolate.....

Photo of homemade pot holder, pillow cases and white holiday ornaments

Later in the day, my Gramma Alice joined us for our Crab Mac and Cheese and brought Mom and I potholders and pillowcases. Two things I can never have enough of!  I chose the pink and polka dots because that is my favorite. My cousins Christine and Denis brought me an adorable glass ice bucket to perfect pair with all of our 2018 Cocktail Clubs and her traditional gift of ornaments of white and silver. I hope this time next year, I will actually put my tree up to celebrate all the beautiful ornaments I have. To be continued on that one....

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week.

Each time I am home, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, something I am sure you can all relate with. I also make sure when I am home, I try to keep being active as part of the trip. These are a few of my songs that remind me of home. Find the playlist on Apple Music and Spotify.

Photo of music playlists on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Photo of a white rose

It has been 2 years since my sister passed away over the holiday season and I very lovingly received a beautiful flower from an anonymous person on December 22nd. I was speechless. To whomever so thoughtfully sent this to me, I thank you. It was a very special way to remember my sweet Kate and was like receiving a big hug that day. 

Photo of a large Christmas Cactus

I also forget how much I love my Grandma's Christmas cactus in my dining room. This year it actually bloomed on Christmas and it has been blooming ever since. 

It has been extremely cold here and these beautiful flowers were just what I needed to feel warm and cozy as 2018 begins. 

I hope you had a great end to your 2017 and a great beginning to your 2018...

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment