12.06.2017

Weekly Wisdom and "That Happened" Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

Inspirational Quote

What if that one thing would have never happened?  

How would your life be different?

I was given a gift I will never forget. It was on my front porch when I came home one evening from work. This gift changed my life. It brought forth the answers I didn't even know I needed at a very fragile and tumultuous time in my life. For many years, I was struggling with making a huge, life changing decision and this gift was the push I needed. I will never forget the impact of this gift and the people who sent it to me, will never know how grateful I am. 

If this one thing would have never happened, who knows how much longer my decision would have been drawn out. How much longer I would have been in limbo with my life and my self worth. How much longer I would be putting my life on hold for something that would never change and heal. 

There are gifts being presented to us everyday. They are not always tied up in pretty packages with fancy bows. They can be presented as words, gestures, signs or revelations. Be open to receiving these gifts, just one could make all the difference in your life. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast with Erik Heard on Itunes

My conversation today is with my favorite physical education teacher, Erik Heard. 

Almost 2 years ago, I was working on a contract project with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics as a Registered Dietitian Coach assisting schools in applying for the HealthierUS School Challenge and being recognized for being a school excelling in healthier lunchrooms and physical activity. I was assigned to Edmunds Elementary in Des Moines Public Schools and this is when I met Erik, who is one of the most passionate teachers I have ever encountered. Educating kids about movement, enjoying health at every size and finding an activity that brings each child joy is what Erik passionately teaches in his classroom every day. It is a great conversation to learn about health and wellness from the perspective of a teacher in elementary education for health professionals and parents. 


Connect with Erik on Twitter @eheard

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

As I am sitting here writing tonight, it is windy as hell, the weather is about to betray us and winter is here. We were pretty damn lucky to start the week off with 67 degree weather on Dec 4th..mark that one down in the books. The last few weeks have been pretty great and notable in my joy jar for many reasons. 

Des Moines Hell Yes by Raygun.

I have to agree with this coaster from Raygun, Des Moines:  Hell Yes.  Despite all "that happened" many moons ago, I am so glad I took the leap and said Hell Yes to coming to Des Moines, even if the reason is null and void. There is not a moment I regret the decision which deemed this purchase a necessity. 

Cocktail Club Brandy Crusta

There has been a few cocktail clubs in recent weeks and looking forward to our upcoming holiday cocktail club this weekend. We recently had a special cocktail club for my frista, Carlena. My girl is having a pretty major surgery this week and we had to celebrate Carlena pre-surgery (see those little peeps eyes right above the cocktail book). 

Cocktail Club Brandy Crusta

We toasted her with a delicious Brandy Crusta and will be sending her good vibes this week. We will commence post-surgery with a celebratory cocktail club after she is all healed and feeling better. Sending lots of love to my girl this week!

Cocktail Club at Friendsgiving Grasshopper

We continued the Cocktail Club when our friend Laura decided to host one of the best Friendsgiving's to date. She has the most perfect accommodations at her apartment complex which included a full kitchen, board games and a mirrored wall and dance floor for the kids to admire their kick-ass dance moves in. We kicked it back a little old school for Cocktail Club and sipped on the delicious Grasshopper. Thank goodness there was a coffee pot to hold all the minty goodness Kevin was mixing up.  

Cocktail Club at Friendsgiving Grasshopper

I signed up for the Grasshopper Fan Club. I remember getting little brandy sniffers when were were little girls carrying a little itty bitty taste of grasshoppers after dinner from my parents. Took me right back to that moment. These are tasty treats! I could go for an after-dinner-drink like this more often. How pretty, festive and appropriate for a Friendsgiving Cocktail Club. 

Three of my heartbeats and family on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving took me to Omaha with my Mom to spend time with the Huebert's in our yearly holiday tradition at my Aunt and Uncle's house. Each year, it is always a little crazy because that is the way we like it. My Aunt even started a tablecloth that we sign to remind us of years prior and all the events happening. This year was no different. I always look forward to spending time with my cousin Lindsey and her two little girls, Ally and Lucy. And each year, I will snag a sweet picture of the three of them to document the special moment of us all being together. A lot can change in a year and this year, we were all just REALLY thankful for being together. 

Christmas decorating done Anne Elizabeth style

I decided to get crazy this year and actually put up some holiday decor, on the outside, of my house. I just do not love to decorate for the holidays, but I am going to try to do a little bit each to get in the spirit and revive a little of my holiday heart. I do believe there is a little to much emphasis on the holidays and I try to have this "holiday heart" all year round but there is something about driving up to my house with my sweet little trees adorned in pretty white lights. I know my sister would be proud of me for putting them up, so that alone encourages me to think about decorating a little differently. 

 #DairyTradtions Photo Challenge by Midwest Dairy

Decorating also gets me in the mood for an exciting adventure with Midwest Dairy on Instagram and Twitter next week. I hope you join me in this photo challenge and post some of your favorite #DairyTraditions on your social media. If you tag @MidwestDairy/#DairyTraditions you are entered to win a years worth of cheesecake. A whole year. Of cheesecake. Make sure to follow me on Instgram and Twitter @anneelizabethrd to join in the fun, #sponsor. 

Celebrating my friend Amanda before the big wedding day!

This past week ended with a celebration of the future Mrs. Andy Hoverson, Miss Amanda!  This lovely is getting hitched on January 6th and it was necessary for the girls to dance, drink and celebrate all around the Moines. I first met Amanda when she was my intern (more than) a few years ago and it turned into a life-long lasting friendship. It always amazes me how being a dietitian brings people together and creates everlasting relationships. I am lucky to call her my friend, share in many booze and giggle therapy session and I am most looking forward to standing up with her and witnessing this next step in her life. 

The Bride-to-be likes to work on her gymnast skills!

But first...the bride shall do handstands at Carl's Place

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week.

Enjoy this fine selection of songs to hopefully make you look back on your workout and be glad "that happened." Find the playlist on Apple Music and Spotify

Workout Playlist of the Week by Anne Elizabeth on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Cocktail Club Accessories Gift

I love handwritten notes I receive in the mail.  LOVE THEM. There is nothing like the sentiment someone takes to write you a note. The handwritten note alone is a gift that brightens my day. Something so very simple can be so simply meaningful. When was the last time you hand wrote something for someone?  I got this card and cocktail making accessories in the mail and it was the joy of my month. Not only did Christine write a beautiful sentiment, but I know she picked out this notecard especially for me. The leaves on the card are Ginkgo leaves and I have a Ginkgo tree in my yard. It those little details that take my breath away and are what I love right now and always. 


~AE


No comments:

Post a Comment