8.09.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom. 

Nutrition Nosh Weekly Inspirational Quote

This week I am celebrating my anniversary of being a dietetic intern....17 years ago. I remember how crazy this time was in my life. I was waking up some days at 3 am to work (for money) before I went to my internship, studying and completing projects in the evening and then also trying to work on the weekends (for money). I did not know which way was up. I woke up crying most mornings because I was physically and emotionally worn out. There were many times I wondered what the hell I was doing and if this dietetic thing was all worth it. 

17 years later, it is ALL worth it. 

Throughout our whole lives we make decisions. Decisions affecting our lives in a variety of ways. However, these decisions are only the beginning to what unfolds. You cannot always be prepared for what happens next but this is when things get good. You get challenged, you triumph, you get your ass kicked, you find your purpose and find out who you really are. There is no study guide or amount of time to ace all the tests of your life. Make the decisions. Stay the course. Get your ass kicked. Kick some ass and always believe it is all worth it. 

Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast Photo

My conversation today is with RD-to-be and Dietetic Intern, Sarah Manders

I absolutely love talking with dietetic students and interns because I see myself in these passionate and excited people. Sarah is an RD-to-be with a lot of passion but is also completely open to the dietetics world and what it has to offer. She is early into her internship but is keeping an open mind to all the possibilities this profession has to offer.
Our conversation got me excited again and reminds me why I am a dietitian today.


Connect with Sarah:  sem@iastate.edu

Anne Elizabeth Book Giveaway
In honor of RDs-to-Be, join me on Instagram this week to enter into my book and goodies giveaway!

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review.

Sweetest Cherries and Tomatoes Photo

This week was all about food and relaxing. I took a few steps back this week and enjoyed the weather cooling down by grilling and going for evening strolls. I enjoy weeks when I have some downtime to accomplish my list of domestic goddess duties, eat great food and sleep in until 8 am. If I haven't told you before, I work with some GREAT people. My co-worked Kelly, who manages all the beautiful, dietitian-approved produce, gave these "sweet treats" to me so I would put my stamp of approval on them. He knows how much I love cherries, so when I tasted the Skylar Rae® Cherries, it was like drops of heaven in my mouth. They are impeccably sweet, who needs candy?  He also knows I am wild about bruschetta and these Sunset Angel Sweets taste amazing with my garden basil, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar.  Summer is the best time for the best tasting produce!  

Farmers Market Stand with tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, basil, green beans and watermelon

Saturday morning I got to hang out at work and we had a beautiful Farmers Market of all of our fresh and local produce items. I also got to hang with my friend Jason, double win!

Donut holes and plants photo

Pretty sure the best part of the day was when I poured myself a coffee on this beautiful cool and breezy August Saturday morning and dived into our NEW freshly made donuts and donut holes we have at the Fleur Drive Hy-Vee. I may have had a donut and 4 donut holes. It was a lovely dietitian approved brunch amongst the flowers. 

Big Burger Mac Bowl

On Saturday night, I grilled out on my patio and made burgers. I was really craving something a little more than a burger with ketchup and mustard, so I got a little crazy and created this mouth-watering Big Burger Mac Bowl. 

Big Burger Mac Bowls
Serves 2

Real Deal (RD) Directions:
1/2 pound of 85% ground beef, divided into 4 and pattied
4 slices of thinly sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
4 tablespoons of Wishbone Light Thousand Island Salad Dressing
A plethora of pickles (because, yum, pickles)
6 cups of chopped lettuce
1 teaspoon of roasted sesame seeds 

1. Grill the hamburger patties to your liking 
2. Throw sesame seeds in a pan on medium heat until seeds are lightly brown, don't burn them!
2. Divide lettuce onto 2 plates 
3. Top with 2 grilled patties
4. Top each patty with a slice of cheese
5. Pickle mania
6. Divide and sprinkle the onions
7. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing on each plate
8. Sesame seed shower

Smile and enjoy!

Piano Playing

To end the weekend, I spent Sunday afternoon being an exceptional pianist. You should of heard the sweet sounds coming out the windows. It would have taken your breath away (My neighbors might debate this). 

Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

This weeks workout playlist of the week is brought to you by the year 2000 when I was a Dietetic Intern. I clearly remember these jams keeping me awake on the drive to all my rotations. I still think Enrique Iglesias is my boyfriend. 

Workout Music Playlist of the Week on Apple Music

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Iowa Grown Honey

I love my clients. I always get thought of in special ways. A customer this week has bees and shared some of his honey and honeycomb. Have you every had honeycomb?  Just a warm piece a toast, a little piece of honeycomb and a dash of cinnamon is better than any dessert. I look at honeycomb in amazement because these little bees produce this architectural art. I plant pollinator plants every year and you should too!

4th Grade School Picture St. Mary's Regional School, Panama, Iowa 1995-96

My other love this week was my lifelong friend Jennifer texting me and asking me who some of our teachers were growing up. We were a little fuzzy on 3rd and 4th grade. Jennifer reached out to another classmate, Joni and within minutes, she sent class photos. First, I love that Jennifer was reminiscing and included me. Second, I love that Joni was Johnny-on-the-spot and had such quick access to these photos!  As you can see, I grew up with a special small group of people. Great memories I wouldn't trade for the world. 

Until next week...nosh on!

~AE






























No comments:

Post a Comment