4.14.2014

Week in Review


It has been a few weeks since I have had the time to review a week and all the exciting things that have happened. I feel this blog is a way to keep a "life and nutrition diary" of the many things I never want to forget. Day, weeks and months pass by so fast, I enjoy being able to read my entries for lasting memories. 

This past week celebrated National Sibling Day and I am ever so grateful for the best sibling a girl could ask for. This beautiful lady has been a big sister and a best friend. I know we have had our challenging "moments" of which my parents probably recall much clearer than I do, but I guess my memories are only positive. Our siblings are truly our first relationships and friendships we have. My sister has taught me to be kind, patient, optimistic and just openly loving. She is someone I want and try to be more like everyday. Love my sissy!


Saturday, the Des Moines Area Dietitians, Chefs, Pharmacists and Fitness Specilaist had our annual Whole Health Experience. It was an outstanding event and if you didn't attend, you missed out!  We had so many informative presentations, exercise opportunities (yes we did yoga!), food, chef demonstrations and did I mention food?  


Chef Stacey and I "dueled" and had a surprise ingredient to create a recipe on the spot. We then had the crowd sample our dish and vote for their favorite. I did win, but I wanted to eat Stacey's yummy dish more than my own!!!  Our secret ingredient was almond milk and I still can't believe I was able to even come up with a recipe!  If you are feeling frisky, you might want to give it a try!  And I think my real secret ingredient is just wearing a really cool apron. 

Italian Chicken Sausage Soup

All you need:
2 links of sweet chicken Italian sausage, cooked and thinly sliced
4 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and diced
1 medium white onion, diced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 medium yellow sweet potatoes, sliced thin
6 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup of fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 fresh bunch of kale, deveined and chopped in bite size pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

All you do:
1.  Heat medium sized pot to medium and sauté chicken sausage, bacon and onions for 5-7 minutes.
2. Sprinkle flour the meat, onions, red pepper flakes and mix well. 
3. Add chicken broth and sweet potato slices, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
4. Whisk together Greek yogurt and almond milk. 
5. Reduce heat to a simmer, slowly add in yogurt and almond milk mixture, stir well.
6. Add in kale and simmer for 2-3 minutes. 
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment