4.22.2013

Smoothie into Spring

Smoothies have become a staple in my daily routine and I hope you consider making it part of yours.

I am always strapped for time in the morning and never was very good about eating a balanced breakfast.  Smoothies have saved the day!  I like them because they can always be different (no boredom) and can use anything that is fresh, frozen or just in season. With spring here, our fresh produce will get tastier and more bountiful, making smoothies even more full of yum.

I also like that I can get all my food groups into one glass. I can have my whole grains, dairy, protein, fruit and veggie in less than 5 minutes, which is perfect for those of us pressed for time or struggling to get our veggie and fruit servings.

It is also perfect for kids. It will get them involved and invested in the food they eat as well as pick flavors they like. Have them help pick out their favorite flavors and help them create their own recipes in the kitchen.

I like the recipe below because it uses superfoods that are becoming more and more available. Just remember to use as many whole foods as possible. Check grocery store ads for sales on produce so it is fresh and delicious. Enjoy a perfect meal in a glass and enjoy being the creator of your favorite recipes.

Spring Smoothie Recipe

1 cup Hy-Vee frozen cherries
2 cups unsweetened Hy-Vee Vanilla Almond Milk
1 Tbs raw cacao powder or nova
1 container of Hy-Vee Plain Greek Yogurt
2 cups of fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup Hy-Vee Quick Oats

Blend together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment