10.19.2012

Taking "Spooky" Out of Halloween

I have many friends that love Halloween, I cannot say I am a huge fan of the holiday but I love trick-or-treaters. Each year I like to do a special treat for my neighbor kids and I like to think out of the box. Last year, I did chocolate cupcakes made healthier with canned pumpkin. So this year, I am thinking a goodie bag filled with the fun whole grain tortilla chips below and wedges of Laughing Cow cheese (of course a few pieces of candy).  I just want to get you all in the mode of thinking differently for your trick-or-treaters. Food items do not have to be full of "spooky" sugar to be a fun treat. Here are a few ideas:


  • Apples with a single serving of fat-free caramel dip
  • Snack mix:  Air popped popcorn, dark chocolate chips, Whole Grain Goldfish and raisins
  • Yellow baby carrots with single-serve Jif Natural Peanut Butter
  • Fruit leathers
  • Back-to-Nature Granola-to-Go Packs
  • Applesauce-to-Go squeezable tubes
  • Caramel apples dipped in Kashi Go-Lean Crunch and mini chocolate chips
  • String Cheese
  • Clif Bars for Kids
  • Popcorn balls made with dark chocolate chips, dried apples and peanut butter
These are just a few of my favorites. Please let me know if you are interested in other ideas, I would be happy to help create a healthier Halloween for your neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment